Frequently Asked Questions
What is openigloo?
openigloo is a data-driven review platform for tenants. The platform combines open-source city data with crowdsourced tenant feedback, giving renters an inside look into buildings and property owners. openigloo’s mission is to bring transparency to rental markets and empower tenants.
Are my reviews anonymous? Is my identity protected?
Where does openigloo source its data?
All data points presented on openigloo are sourced from NYC Housing Preservation & Development. How frequently is data on openigloo updated? Data presented on openigloo is updated daily and reflects changes made to the original sources on the Housing Preservation & Development Agency website.
I can’t find my address. What does that mean?
All addresses in NYC that are registered with the Housing Preservation & Development agency are preloaded into the openigloo platform. If you can’t find your address, it may be because your building is registered with the city under a different address or doesn’t have at least 3 rental units. You can still leave a review for a building that does not have a profile. Click “Create a Review” on the search page. For a specific inquiry, write to us at email@example.com.
I noticed something that is incorrect on the openigloo platform. What can I do?
Send your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll investigate asap.
Is openigloo available in other cities?
openigloo is focused on New York City for now. Users can still leave reviews for buildings outside of New York by selecting “Create a Review” on the search page.
I have never lived in New York, but want to browse building profiles. How can I access the platform without contributing a review?
Leave a review for a past rental, even if it wasn’t in New York and the platform will unlock. If you have no rental experiences to contribute send an inquiry to email@example.com.
I'm a property owner. What can I do about negative reviews on openigloo?
- Our members self-certify their relationship with their buildings.
- We remove reviews when we find evidence of abuse.
- We don’t take sides in factual or contractual disputes between landlords and reviewers.
- We generally don't consider evidence offered by someone with a vested interest in getting a review taken down, because we don’t know how reliable it is.
- We won't tell you who wrote a review.
- We don't remove buildings or landlords from our platform.
- And final content decisions are within our sole discretion and we don’t negotiate about them.
Will openigloo remove my building and owner profiles from the platform if I ask?
Because openigloo’s mission is to bring transparency to rental markets, we can't agree to remove your profile from openigloo.